My Performance Development focuses on learning and development that has been targeted at individual and collective improvement. Activities to improve performance in this phase use the 70:20:10 model that identifies the workplace as the principal area to learn, with most development occurring through the completion of challenging work tasks.
The opportunity to practice and learn with support and through the input from others, are critical aspects required for effective learning and development within role. The inclusion of time taken for reflection on performance helps create an environment that supports professional growth. The 70:20:10 model is structured as follows.
Learning through challenging work tasks
Learning through and with others
Critical to Performance Development is the collection of evidence of learning and evidence of changing practice.
This aspect of Performance development asks you to actively engage in learning, gathering evidence of the learning you do and how it will be actioned in your professional practice. In Sydney Catholic Schools we believe that learning is best conducted within the workplace and we use the 70:20:10 model to describe how that occurs.
Look at how the 70:20:10 model, evidence of learning and annotations are used in this ePortfolio (template).
What questions guide this aspect:
- What learning did I do?
- How will I know my learning was effective?
- How will my learning be actioned in my role?
- Who can help me check if my learning was effective?
This aspect of Performance development asks you to consider how effective the learning you have done has been and how it has been actioned in your professional practice. As a result of my learning ask:
- What has changed in what I do?
- What evidence can demonstrate this?
- Who can provide feedback on the changes I have made?
Sometimes this is best demonstrated as a Before and After snapshot e.g. a changed program/service/activity.
Teachers should use the NESA Evidence Guides for their level of accreditation to guide them here.
Resources for this phase:
Sydney Catholic Schools Resources:
- ePortfolio (Template)
- Higher Levels ePortfolio (Template)
- How to create an ePortfolio from a template
- Personal (My Performance Development) Reflective Journal (Template):
- Examples of Practice support document for teachers developing towards proficiency.
- The Evidence Guide for Proficient Teacher Standards describes evidence requirements aligned to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST's)
- The Evidence Guide for Highly Accomplished Teacher Standards describes evidence requirements aligned to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST's)
- The Evidence Guide for Lead Teacher Standards describes evidence requirements aligned to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST's)
Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL):
- The My Standards App enables you to gather evidence of learning aligned to standard descriptors and annotate it.